The pier was constructed following the passage of Prince Edward, Prince of Wales, son of King George V, on the way of his trip to India. Impressing the natural location of the port and the beauty of its environment, the Prince issued an order to build a spacious hall on its own berth. The Tourist Terminal was built at Tawahi near the entrance to the harbour in 1919 to serve a growing volume of passenger traffic at Aden. The building provides services for passengers from ships calling at the dolphin berths, 6 In and 6 Out, as well as owners and crews from the large number of yachts calling at Aden each year. Minimum depth alongside is 4.0 meters at chart datum. The Yemen Coastguard base is immediately to the east of the Terminal. The Coastguard is responsible for security at the Terminal, and inside port limits generally.
Visitors to Aden often visit historic and other sites in Aden, including the famous water tanks at Tawila, the military and Aden museums, Seera Island and castle, the bird-watching and environmental areas within the Aden lagoons at Hiswah, the beaches at Gold Mohur and Bureiqah (Little Aden).
Passengers normally make such visits using coaches that collect them from the terminal and return them at the end of their stay. Some visitors take the option of flying to one of the old cities of Yemen and returning to their vessel at the next call in Hodeidah or Mukalla.